Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Knit & Grit

I'm beginning to regret not joining the Knitting Olympics. I found out about it through on of my favorite blogs, In Persuit of Perfection. I didn't think I would have my shit together to pull off the task of having a project done in 16 days. I didn't want to fail, so I didn't join. Now I know that I'll miss having that cool Knitting Olympics gif on my blog.

So I casted on the beautiful black merino wool onto my needles just as the torch was lit. Now it is 4 days later and I have finished the ribbed cuff, into the color pattern of the mitten. By tonight, I plan to be a few rows past the bind off for my thumb. The color patter is only three colors, easy as pie I tell myself as I kick myself in the ass (I am very flexible). I know I can have these bad mittens done in time...including the silly embroidery to obtain that hand grenade look.

In my defense, Emily Hughes, the figure skating alternate was called in after Kwan bailed. Ms. Hughes didn't attend opening ceremonies, but she is on her way to Torino to go for the gold as Kwan's replacement. I see myself as the knitting Hughes, I am the AlterKnit! I have passed clean for steroids and blood doping. Do I have a chance? Or will this experience simply be my training for the next Summer Olympics?

8 comments:

Laura said...

Good for you! I keep wanting to do the Knitting Olympics, but nope! All those UFOs in my living room would silently say "You don't love us anymore!"

Not that you need any more pressure, what with being an Olympian and all... but pictures would be nice. :)

One of your favorites? Yer makin' me blush. ;) What a cool thing to type!!

Camie Vog said...

Pictures...okay, I'll figure it out. I'm lucky I got the blogroll running correctly without pulling out all the hair from one side of my head.
These mitts I'm making are no compare to Fry's Uber-Mitts you just finished. The Uber-Mitts are so beautiful, they make people bow on one knee when in their presence. I do have some cool sweaters, though...

FOUR DINNERS said...

steroids and knitting....my kind of girl....

ta for the compliment on my blog and yes that is the photo I'd send 'em for an ID card. Come and visit me in jail? The wife won't mind she'll be too busy saying "I told you so" and arranging for my Simpsons dvd's to be smuggled in.....

Camie Vog said...

A visit to an English jail? Just what I need to break the 6 year European hiatus I have suffered thanks to the Bush/Al Qaeda combo. Keep me posted on the date of your internment. Have your wife smuggle in a Blackberry so you can update your blog...

Ron said...

AlterKnit! The Punning Vog returns! Me, I'm lovin' it! Maybe the Hyundai needs a Tea Cosi? (A2 spelling!)

Laughing much occurs!

d34dpuppy said...

i dunno cammi u r pretty funny, mabe u can call urself a knitwit?

Laura said...

Uber-mitt?! I love it!! Seriously LOLing over here. I'm so tempted to take said mits to my beginners' class tomorrow, wave it in the air, and say "Worship me, o minions!"

Loading pictures in Blogger is pretty easy. Just comb over the bald side of your head and email me if you need real help. ;)

StripeySocks said...

i can't knit for crap, so knitting anything would be an accomplishment for me.