Wednesday, March 22, 2006

"Yeah, I know there's something dragging on my brain..."

Read "Our Band May Be Your Life" by Michael Azerrad. It is a history of American Hardcore from 1981-1991. Each segment is an in depth look at each band, from inseption to demise. It's a good read. Because of this book I re-discovered

Husker Du. What a fantastic band. I listened to them all through high school and college. Since I have their music all on vinyl (except New Day Rising), I needed to get it on CD for my listening pleasure. Luckily, Ron at Fluffy Stuffin' has copies of Zen Arcade, Warehouse Songs, and Candy Apple Gray for the borrowing, eh, yeah... I ordered my personal favorites Metal Circus and Land Speed Record from the local music shop to add to the collection.

As most of you know, Bob Mould, the guitarist of Husker Du, went on with a solo career. He came to Deeeetroit (ah, say it long, Pistons style. It's not a typo) to do two back to back shows at a club called Alvin's. I rode with some friends. My buddy parked in a ramp on Wayne State University's campus. The parking attendant told us we had to have the car out by midnight or it would be locked in overnight. Since we had tickets for the first show at 9:00 pm, and the second show was to start at 11:30 pm we thought for sure we'd be out in time.

Yeah, well that wasn't the case. 9pm came and went, as did 10, and 11. At 11:30, when the show still didn't start, my ride, worried about his car announced that we were leaving. WHAT!? And lose out on the show and the tickets we bought? I told my friend to go move the car and come back for the show. He began to whine that it was getting late (!), and how could I suggest moving the car to a potentially unsecure lot. We were in Detroit! The car could be stolen! I reminded him that he was born and raised in Flint just like me, and that he knew what it was all about. That got me nowhere.

On our way to the door, I asked for our money back and was refused. Pissed from three hours of drinking, I became pissed off. "Stay right here! Do not leave, yet! I will be back!", I barked at my friends. I turned back into the venue, now mobbed with people. I crawled my way through the crowd towards the stage. Once there, I ran for the stage door. Beyond the main door was a door off to the side. The dressing room! I swung it open and bolted in. There, sat Bob Mould, alone, smoking a cigarette.

"What the fuck are you doing just sitting there? Why aren't you out there raging on your guitar? I paid money to see you play, not for you to sit on your ass! Now my ride is leaving and I'm out the fucking cash! Fuck! I own everything you have released on vinyl, saw Husker Du three times, and this is how you treat your fans?!?" I yelled. He stood up, "Hey! Hi! Ah, what's your name?" he asked. "CAMI!", I blurt out, still pumped from my outburst. I began to realize that I had burst in on Bob Mould's pre-show ju-ju. As massive waves of anxiety clouds began to form over my head, he says "Okay. Cami. Here, have a seat. Do you smoke? Here, here is a cigarette". I sat down on a fluffy (stuffin') couch, he lit my smoke, asked if I needed a drink (eh,no more of those). Nice guy.

I told him my situation about my ride, and that I would have to miss the show. He explained to me that the concert promoter didn't feel enough people had bought tickets for the last show so he decided to combine them. That meant pushing the first show back at the last minute. Bob Mould said it was out of his hands. So there we sat, backstage, engaging in small talk. As we mashed our smokes out into an overflowing ashtray, he offered to refund the tickets for me and my friends. He opened the door of his dressing room and told a stage hand to walk me to the front and make sure we got all our money back. I told him thanks, and we shook hands. He even told me it was nice meeting me.

Very cool. Boy, was that concert promoter mad that he had to give us our cash back. I regret not seeing the show, but it was worth meeting Bob Mould in the end.


title credit: Lifeline by Husker Du

9 comments:

d34dpuppy said...

u has had tha most interestin life, know

FOUR DINNERS said...

Never heard or heard of Husker Du. I'm surfin to hear 'em. Any band with a Buzzcocks influence has to be good....

Claim to Fame : Touched David Bowie's foot age 14 I think (Me not Bowie) at the height of Ziggy Stardust fame. Wouldn't wash my hand. Played football, got muddy, wouldn't wash my hand. Didn't wash it for 5 weeks (uh!) 'til I got an infection & a doctor scrubbed it clean. Asked for the dirt back in a bag. He thought I was nuts. No soul that doctor.

Still haven't posted your OP top. Sorry. Really tied up in pay talks. Should be off early next week. I'll mail details etc when it's done.

Ranting Dullard said...

You got to meet Bob Mould in the end? Which end was that?
Was it mouldy?

Camie Vog said...

Oh, Oh! He's back! oh, not for long though....pooey. It's been quiet since you left 4D, people have been reading, not commenting. I even broke blog rules at Tara's blog when I saw your comment there. I forgot I was at her blog when I commented on your accent. I suppose you're to wait until the blog owner responds first...oh well, I ain't a punk for nothing. I'll send copies of the Husker Du discs I have in you package. No worries about the shirt, shit, I still have an email I need to finish off and send to you let alone the special welcoming package from Michigan to mail to you. Hope the wage stuff is going well. It is good to hear from you. David Bowie! I would have done the same thing with my hand. It makes me wonder, do you think it was dirt, or David Bowie germs that made the infection?
Does your employer pay you during these union talks?

Camie Vog said...

Pup!
No, not so much...well, okay, more so when I was younger. I am much more reserved now a days, well, sort of.

hey pup, personal question here...feel free not to answer if you don't want to... How is it that you lost your hearing? Just wondering, since you refer back to a time which you could hear... your poetry is fantastic, by the way...

FOUR DINNERS said...

Full pay. Basic, shift and attendance. + The MD let slip his room # hence much beer and vodka went the way it should for free. Me n a couple of Manchester guys got legless Thursday night. Tried to comment early on the Friday session and it came out "Uhdibilido". Kept quiet 'till the afternoon and I became intelligible again. Doin' it all over in a couple of weeks. Don't know about us strikin' but my liver's takin' a vote soon....

d34dpuppy said...

anoxia

the cappuccino kid said...

you got to meet a hero and you slag him off?
god iff i burst into a room with weller sat there i would probably ony be able to say neifnoihuhw2vqbbrg;tg3oh2v.
big up the vog girl!
cool site, thought i would pay a visit, now gonna link ya on mine.
xxx

Ranting Dullard said...

I once told Ozzy Osbourne "Big fat slurpy cocks" I was only a kid and was nervous.
Anyway, get blogging Camie, the world needs your observations!