Monday, April 10, 2006

"Guess it makes you someone special. To be in on all the secrets and to tell them. Ain't it entertaining? Keeps your tongue in shape..."

I know you've all been here...You find a blog*, a referal from one of your blog mates. It's a relatively popular blog. Site meter is in the thousands, each of their posts get at least 5-10 comments. Sometimes 20. But for some reason, you can't put your finger on it, you just don't like it. You keep going back, sure there will be "that" post that makes you say "Ah! This is the reason..." After a month of this you snap. You read yet another post of shit and you've had enough! You find yourself in the comment field typing

"Wow. I am the last person you want commenting on this post. (Why am I here?) I choose not to comment on this post because this topic is of no interest to me. It ranks so low on my signifigance meter, I'm not going to waste my time on attempting to expand my horizons concerning it."

You stare at the comment you've written. Try re- writing it to make it sound, well, nicer. Nothing you try works. You debate the ramifications of sending the comment. You know it will bring no good (much like their blog). You'll only appear hyper irrational to its author and their legions of readers...

Finding the backspace key, you give it a nudge and watch your comment disappear. Goodbye. As as after thought, you enter "manage bookmarks" locate the blog title. Highlight. Delete. Goodbye. Life is too short to be obsessed with such petty vanity.

Go to "Good Blogs" folder and sigh happily as you read of scooters, council taxes, out of place muslims and mosques, Chico, identity theft, childhoods at the beach, angst, happiness, sorrow, punk in its prime-now, knitting, government obsurdities, and well, life as you relate to it and how other blog authors do the same.

*no worries...this post is not about a blog on my blog roll. it never made it that far.

title credit "Talks Cheap" by Flipper

17 comments:

Laura said...

LOL! I knew it wasn't mine the moment I read "site meter". ;)

the cappuccino kid said...

and i thought it was just me! i got into this blogging lark because of a newspaper article that happened to mention a certain site that i am about to remove from mylinks field. at first i thought it was the funniest thing out there. very proffessionally put together etc, but the more i read yours, 4D's, barnze and the like, i realised this was the company i wanted to keep. people with the same sense of humour, who don't always see eye to eye, but have the decency to acknowledge my exsistence.
all hail the novice bloggers, our talks are FAR more entertaining anyway.

and breath, in, out, in, out, ...

FOUR DINNERS said...

Found a lot of good blogs lately but they're all talking about turds. This is a worry. I've got into blogs by the anally obsessed.

I like what I like. CV, FF, Barnzy, Steve, Tara, Pup, HG, Davo, D 'n a few others.

Stickin' with who I know 'cause I like 'em. Simple as that.

d34dpuppy said...

i have a huge list i read but thay r all gettin book deals n then it ruins that blog so then i still leave it there n check but they just suck it takes me a long time b4 i really dumpit bcos i alwasy think that its just a phase of suck there goin thru

Camie Vog said...

phase of suck! Nicely put, pup.

FOUR DINNERS said...

Tell me when I start suckin' DP 'n that's the time to quit...

Wha?...now?....allready...shit

Ranting Dullard said...

I know I suck. Its my best feature (on my blog I mean, I dont suck anything or anybody.).

d34dpuppy said...

no way everybody in here is way 2 cool u r stuck in my list pernamantly

ldbug said...

well, damn, now I'm seriously self-conscious bout my blog..hmmmm but it's inspiration to be more entertaining in the future:)

Camie Vog said...

oh! "i've made a huge mistake"! people, dear friends who are on the freak, you are on the blogroll...relax! I should have kept my trap shut....Okay! I love ALL blogs, blogs are good (even if they suck!!)blogs keep me in friends...right?
Excuse me, for my brain has, eh, farted. Sorry to all those down wind... Now, to find a hole in which to insert my head...

(how fitting- word verification is: fuhxrwr)

Melanie said...

Hey Camie! This post cracked me up! And, I didn't have to Backspace or delete - very cool blog. :)

Ron said...

Fluffy knows who it is...Camie told me.... ;-) Right, Camie?

tideliar said...

You're so right with that too! They'll remain nameless, but there have been a couple where I've gone back time after time, always feeling a bit like that kid who didn't fit in a school. Hoping that if I hang out with the "right" crowd long enough I'll get it and be cool too. then, just like then (oh how fucking eloquent that is!), you realise it's not you; it's them!

:) Oooh....I wanna out some of them now!

So anyway. I only post a comment once I've visited a few times and think I'll like the company :)

And cheers for the reminder to update my blog-roll!!!

d34dpuppy said...

ok here is 1 u guys mabe will liek
http://www.thevelvethottub.com/

* (asterisk) said...

I'm pretty new to this whole blog thing, but I am totally with you on this. I got a small handful of faves (including a couple who have commented here), but when I try something new it can be disappointing! Good work here, tho.

bob said...

Clearly, your blog-fu is more powerful than mine, Mlle Vog. I may need to write more about seashell collecting and cocacola blak than RSS market share. Hmm.

Anonymous said...

So, you find a blog you don't like, and leave a comment which states that it is low on your list of priorities, unimportant, etc.

If it's so unimportant to you, why leave a comment at all? That's a little on the redundant side, isn't it?