Sunday, May 28, 2006

F250 Super-Cab Prototype Truck in Ann Arbor!

UPDATE!
(at the bottom of this post)

Ann Arbor is a stones throw away from Detroit Motor City (they still make cars in Detroit, right?). It is not unusual to see shrouded prototype vehicles from the Big 3 (General Motors, Ford, Chrysler) and Toyota on the highways for road testing. It IS unusual to see them in the parking lot of a local grocery store on a weekend. Even MORE unusual for me to have a camera ready for a moment like this. Having these images captured on my digital camera is nothing compared to the story of how I got them.

Like the paparazi Queen that I am, getting the first photo was no big deal. It was easily snapped by me, sitting in the passenger seet of my 12 year old, 6 cylinder mini- SUV. My husband, the mad man that he is, was in the drivers seat. He gracefully backed our vehicle to block the driver of this monsterous truck, a Ford F250 SuperCab dueley (2 axels in the rear). The first photo was taken straight on. After snapping the shutter, I gave the driver a BIG smile, and a little princess wave as we drove off. I reviewed the photo and decided I didn't like it. It looked too much like....
Darth Vader, and less like an incognito Super Truck.

Hell, lets get another shot. He is still in the parking lot, waiting for his wife who was in the store...He couldn't go any where fast. Could he?!?

As hubby circled the lot to line up the next picture, SuperTruck reved its massive engine and quickly sped down an aisle. HUH!?! It must have been my wave that pushed this driver over the edge, 'cause he was on the move! Up and down the aisles we both went. Him on the run, us in lame pursuit. Our truck was a Hippo compared to the purr of the Leopard SuperTruck (we went to the zoo today, can you tell?).

This picture was taken just before our Tom & Jerry game moved to the large lot BEHIND the store. Much better clarity of a photo...
In the back lot, SuperTruck raced at least 60 MPH behind another building.

Here is the photo of SuperTrucks hasty retreat.

Happy with the second shot, we decide to go home. As we were cutting through the lot towards the front of the store, SuperTruck came flying towards us at a high rate of speed. With precision braking, he maneuvered the truck to a dead stop in front of our truck. The drivers door swung open. Doing his best "I am David Beckham after winning the World Cup, and I am so sick of photographers" move, the driver jumped (literally) from the cab and ran to our truck. He barked "WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?!?" into my open window. From the back of my truck my son says, "Awwww! Are we done with the chase?" After hearing that, I burst into laughter while looking at the drivers face. The driver, who in reality is the stereo typical engineer Little Man, takes one look at my husbands sizable girth and backs away from my truck. He knows he doesn't stand a chance against a tangle he was so going for with my husband.

I say, "Dude, come on! You're in a shrouded, manufactures plated truck! I got all the pictures I need. Thanks!" I resume my evil laugh as he weakly replies "You got your picture, now leave me alone!" He runs for the safety of SuperTruck, slipping a bit on the running boards as he frantically climbs in. Another roar of laughter erupts from our truck. His teenage daughter, who is in the back of the cab, peers out her window. Obviously, she was upset that her fathers persona wasn't as big as the truck he drove. She jutted her hand out her open window, flashing us her middle finger as SuperTruck sped away. More laughter from our vehicle...

Now are path is open, so we began to leave the parking lot. Next thing we hear is the roar of SuperTrucks motor. That Little Man Engineer still behind the wheel of SuperTruck, is now behind us, and moving fast. All we could see out our back glass was the huge shrouded grill. My husband, the madman, not at all bothered by this sight says "Well, you mother fucker! Coming up on me like that.... You wanna fuck with me? Here you go..." Hubby slams our truck into reverse and steps on the gas peddle. Good thing SuperTruck has a big engine. He needed it to get out of our way. "Oh yeah! Just as I thought, you fucker. Wouldn't have that nice job at Ford if you returned their truck all smashed" my husband says under his breath. More laughter from our truck as we watch SuperTruck speed away in reverse. Off to home we go.

I am sure Little Man Engineer spent the rest of his evening deleting this high torque escapade from the data laptop attached to SuperTruck. No sense in having Fords top brass reviewing what LittleManEngineer was up to while "borrowing" a prototype vehicle for the weekend. No worries, LittleMan! I've exposed the dirty work of you and SuperTruck for all to see. Thanks for the FUN!!

UPDATE!
Okay. I have corrected the model of this truck, thanks to several auto insiders who have visited this blog. It is an F250, NOT a 350 as earlier reported. I posted a link to this story to Autoblog, (and Blue Oval News, thanks Ron) as suggested by Bob from Ack/Nak. As a result, numerous people from around the globe have stopped by to view these precious pictures. It has also flooded the internet through countless link backs to it. Thanks to all the bloggers who have carried the story farther than I expected. For those of you who have taken the photos and the story itself for use on their own blogs, I have no problems with you doing this as long as you give credit where credit is due, ie. telling your readers that you got the info from CamieVog @ Perfect Blue Buildings. Many of you have done this, and for that I thank you.
Several blogs, after reading the story, have made comments about how UNSAFE this situation could potentially have been. I will clarify, it was not OUR vehicle that was racing around, it was the F250! We were merely attempting to achieve a decent angle for a better shot. We did not exceed the posted 15 MPH speed limit in the front parking lot, and did not go over 25MPH in the back parking lot. I will also mention that the back parking lot was EMPTY of cars and people. Once again, sure we were getting some better pictures, but it was the engineer behind the wheel of the F250 who was doing the erratic driving! This entire story could have been avoided, had the engineer allowed the photos to be taken in the first place. Remember, it was HIS choice to use this vehicle as a "grocery getter" on a Saturday night. It only proves to me that he wanted to be noticed or else he would have driven his wifes Ford Focus instead.

20 comments:

the cappuccino kid said...

yay for camie the spy.
any more covert ops we should know about?
is this why you go quiet for days on end?
have you got a watch that turns into a speedboat?

the cappuccino kid said...

on second thoughts you should e-mail this to the guys at ford and see what they think, you never know they could use it in some of thier advertising litrature, and you could get paid for it! worth a try.

bob said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bob said...

Two things - these guys are not supposed to be using these prototype cars for personal use. The very fact that you've gotten these photos - at the locations you've specified - demonstrate that he's committed a boo-boo.

But the more serious offense was his decision to return and confront you not once but twice, the second time using a vehicle as a threatening weapon.

I'd recommend you send a link of this post to AutoBlog:

http://www.autoblog.com

I'm sure they'd be delighted to give you some visibility, especially given the juicy double whammy in play here - pictures + stupidity.

(edited to remove the link to a friend who used to write for autoblog, but apparently no longer does)

* (asterisk) said...

Great story, CV. What a twat!

Ron said...

You know what they say...the bigger the cabs, the smaller the abs...

And at Chez Kro-jay no less! Ford can't pay enough to go to Whole Foods? or at least Busch's?

You and the madman need to start hangin' around Chelsea some more...there must be Chryslers goin' to the Common Grill...

Camie Vog said...

Okay! Autoblog has been notified!

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/28/galpin-auto-sports-joins-new-pimp-my-ride-on-mtv/

FOUR DINNERS said...

There's no escapin CV in paparazzi mode!! Yer hubby's a hero. Cool drivin! Nerves of steel. I'd send him a beer or 3 but they'd break in the post!

d34dpuppy said...

yeah send alla tha info 2 ford n copies of tha piccys n demand a written apology n a new truck

tideliar said...

Ha HA! Cammie you are cool as shit! And your hubby is a rock star too!! I fucking laughed so hard dude! :D

Cynnie said...

Awww..I wanna go riding around with your two!..sounds like you guys are so fucking cool!

Ron said...

Ford Fu-cus? Camie, dats cold!

Who Me? said...

i love you girl! chasing little men in big trucks and snapping shots all along! glad you didn't pull a princess diana with your chirrins in the car. my BF gets perfect opportunities working at the airport to go all paparazzi, but it would cost him his job.

Ranting Dullard said...

Sounds like a great family day out to me!

Bush wants more Americans to buy cars like this so he can go and invade Iran. Aint worth it is it really?

Melanie said...

Omigosh - dying the whole time I'm reading this!!! You guys are AWESOME!!! LOL

d34dpuppy said...

camie ur world famous now cni have ur autograph

hay do u guys know who is nick sabre?he has a myspace page n wants friends just passin it on

Musicgirl said...

Since we're playing the chase game...did you realize that you were "tagged' by me? You're it Camie!!!!!

Laura said...

He screeches, "Leave me alone," like a whiney assed punk, then goes on to try and scare you guys? How very chickenshit of him.

Paul C. said...

Did the person look like the engineer in this storey?:
http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10467&st=0

蔡健雅Tata said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.