Monday, May 01, 2006

The Future of Whitey in America


"Excuse me, can you spare, eh, something ?
You see, my working poor job has been out sourced
to some illegal immigrants."


Today is the day that all those in support of illegal Hispanic labor in America are to take a day off without pay. It is anticipated to heavily affect the service industry in numerous areas of the U.S.

If any of these things are on your "To Do" list today, lets hope you have the skill to do them. If not, maybe you should call your parents and yell at them for not teaching you proper life skills.

1. Move your heavy furniture into that enormous house you just bought.

2. Cut your grass, landscape your yard, plant that over priced tree, spread 100 yards of mulch into your flower beds.

3. Wake, bathe, dress, feed, and ferry your children to school. After school, pick them up, entertain them, feed them dinner, put them to bed.

4. Plan and cater the food for that important business function for your colleques.

5. Clean your house from top to bottom.

6. Re-roof your house.

The list could go on.....

I give Hispanics a lot of credit for what they do to get into and stay in this country. I've been to Mexico several times, the longest time spent there was 6 weeks. My trips were not spent basking at an all inclusive resort. I travelled and adventured extensively through out the land. I have a good perspective on how Mexicans live. How they live in Mexico even touches my own household in Ann Arbor. Here are some photos of my husbands grandmothers house in Sahuayo, Mexico. Sahuayo is a very small town near Guadalajara.

Grandma in the sitting room. Bedroom is behind her through the door.

The veranda.

The bathroom ceiling.

My husband, an American born Mexican, spent one month of his "vacation" time attempting to alleviate his grandmothers housing squalor. By Mexican standards, she lives quite well. I'll also mention that while his grandmother lives in what we in America would refer to as a ghetto, her son, my husband's father, his house was recently appraised for $650,000 U.S. His house is located in Silicon Valley, California. By no means am I implying that my father in law is a land barron who allows his own mother to live in oppression. I am stricktly stating how unequal living conditions and standards are between the two countries. My father in law is the only one of her children who sends money for her care on a regular basis.

Statisticians believe that by 2012, Hispanics will be the majority in the U.S., and Whitey will be demoted to the minority. Shit, in my own house the 2/3 majority is Hispanic. My loverly 1/3 caucasian ass is already the minority. Sing with me..."I wanna be the minority...". That Latin blood is thicker than water.

There is the argument that these illegals are sucking off the tit of America by using the welfare system for food, health care, and housing. And they send their children to public schools. Yeah, their doing it....the same way the working poor Americans are doing it. If you think all these illegals are getting paid under the table, you are mistaken. Thanks to the Federal government, business are required to verify that the person they are hiring is able to legally work in the U.S. There are countless forms that the employee must fill out documenting their legal statis via proof of drivers license, social security card, and residency. This is required, and the illegals comply. They provide these documents and things check out. They are hired and begin having taxes taken out of their pay. Fed, State, Social Security, the works. No one (ie. the Feds and INS) realize that the taxes are tagged to some guy in Dallas. The illegals are paying into the system. Unfortunately, the way they are doing it (to save their asses) and how shitty the U.S. manages its bizzare checks and balances, well, they just don't mesh. The tax money sits unclaimed.

Back to my father in law.... He came to the U.S. almost 50 years ago to work in the car factories in Detroit. Truthfully, I have no idea if he came into this country legally, or not. Eventually, he met and married my mother in law, who was an American born Mexican. After the marriage, he became a permanent resident of the U.S. He maintained that statis for 45 years, all the while keeping his Mexican passport. He joined the meat cutters union (butcher), worked, paid into the American system legally, raised a family of 7 children and retired from his job.

After September 11, he received a letter from the INS stating that he could no longer be a permanent resident. He must become a citizen. It took over 2 years to clear himself. 2 years of standing in lines at INS. 2 years of re-doing paperwork the INS "lost". 2 years of not being able to leave the country for fear that the U.S. might not let him back in. In the end, he was able to have his perm. resident statis reinstated. If all this can happen to a legal immigrant, imagine what it is like for those who are illegal and truely desire to make things right for themselves within the U.S. We should be glad that all they are going to do today is take the day off in protest....

VIVA LA AMERICA!!!



many thanks to my buddy Mark for creating the cool Playmobile homeless guy. you the man!

34 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

50 years n they can make him illegal???? Bloody hell Camie that is unbelievably shite of 'em. Glad it's sorted. (Couldn't his old union help?) You're hubbies nan looks a sweetie by the way. Minorities are ok. A dozen shop stewards at my place n only 2 of us care...

the cappuccino kid said...

you have to prove you are legally entitled to work in the uk to get a job in tesco's these days!
while i was helping to recruit for the store i am now in we had to give out a form stating this to applicants along wuth the application form itself. what makes me chuckle, in a non racist way, is the number that couldn't speak english, or even read it, yet they managed to fill in the multi choice questionare in the said form!
and get enough on the scoring system to get an interview. i tried it and would have failed it!

Camie Vog said...

Damn, Fiz! Your up late tonight! No work this evening? What is it, 2am now??

My point exactly about how those forms get filled out correctly!!! Get a shredder, 'cause your tax I.D. number may appear on the next application you receive!

bob said...

The Pitch: Hapless (but friendly) illegal alien asks the former Detroit Red Wings head coach to help him fill out an employment form - hilarity ensues!

Ron said...

It's times like these that the US traditionally lets Texas put a beatdown on Mexico...I'm not sayin' it's right! It's just a tradition.

Ah, well, it's probably time we just outright annexed Mexico anyway! (Just to let the Canucks know we ain't forget 'em!) They could be harboring WMD's! OMG!!!

If we invade in a blind panic, we can just apologize later...

Ranting Dullard said...

Its piss poor that central America has so much natural resources and sits so close to the richest country in the world but still struggles under huge debt. Hispanic people are inherently more cool than whitey anyway. So viva el presidente! Tengo un burro. Me casa es mas grandes que me pantalones.

I had one spanish lesson 13years ago.

Camie Vog said...

4D-I agree with you about the sweetie grandma. I have never met her. Hubby says she is nice, doesn't speak a word of English, and is around her mid-80's. I believe the union helped to get his monthly retirement pay back. That was also "frozen" during those 2 years...

Fatfiz- saw you online the same time as me last night...love it when that happens. Talked to my hubby about those cherry docs...I thought they were in our storage unit. He says I sold them to a resale shop a couple of years ago...don't remember doing that. Will 3 eye polished black oxfords work?

bob- Illitch has all the time in the world to do that now, seeing that the Red Wings were eliminated from the play offs last night...

Ron- I'm not sure if I am in favor of annexation. Rich Whitey will make a run for it there, and I'll still be stuck in the cold.

R.D- You married a donkey in your pants? *weird images insue*

Ron said...

Camie -- If Rich Whitey goes to "New" Mexico, (perhaps to be renamed TacoBellia?) that means you can afford your house in the now-abandoned Cold North! Geddes road would be nice...

Melanie said...

Excellent post Camie. You put a very real face and perspective on the situation. Thanks for sharing!

tideliar said...

What frets me out is the fucking hypocrasy inherent in so mucb of this. I'm a fucking legal immigrant, pay my taxes, stay (mostly) out of trouble, jump hoop after endless fucking hoop to fill out paper work yadda yadda yadda. But from I read (and I'm confused I admit), some folks want to give 11million illegal immigrants free citizenship. What about me?! How do their kids get to go to college on in-state tuition if they're here illegally? I don't fucking understand all the shite.

the cappuccino kid said...

they will do nicely, along with a footy shirt, tartan mini skirt and stood next to a scooter!
Mmmmm nice!
yes i was up late, bank holiday monday! gotta love em! you should have used windows live messenger and wwe could have had a chat! always up late at the weekend! one of the joys of working permanent nights!
pictures please!

the cappuccino kid said...

and get out and buy some more!

Nairobi Paul said...

It partly boils down to selfishness on the part of the big USA. But another issue is world equality... if the lower strata of society and the world were paid what they're really worth, the whole economy would get messed up. And maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing. But it would take a lot of adjusting on the part of everyone!

Ranting Dullard said...

You think that spanish is bad? I went on my hols to Spain about 20 years ago. I thought that I would impress a Spanish girl by speaking her language. She just laughed. She said that I had told her I had 13 teeth and was very cold.
Not what I wanted to say but there you go. Soy Gordo y Feo y Tonto.

Laura said...

I agree with what tideliar said. I have friends from India that have paid boatloads in legal fees to get right with INS. If the Latin Americans are going to get a free pass, what does that mean for the rest of the immigrants who played by the rules.

I also think people use the excuse of their hired help being 'illegal' to pay them much less than what they're worth. So very not cool. Pay them what they're worth so they can send money home and thus increase EVERYONE'S standard of living.

d34dpuppy said...

i dun think ur fat r ugly wot the fuck is tonto r an idiot,
ma il sig. steve è molto divertente e può dare dei calci al vostro asino o wait thats not spanish
tha point is it sux 2 b tha person that is waitin n waitin 2 come here legally. do u know how strick mexico is with its southern border? thay do everything 2 keep people out but thay pass out comic books that show there people how 2 sneak across tha border and demand that we rescue tham wen thay get stuckin tha moutains r tha desert. it is hypocrasy at best my dads grandaprent came here thay hadda have a sponsor, a job learn tha lang. my nonni dint speak english wen she went 2 school but she learned it fast, o special classes alla that crap

Camie Vog said...

Dear Everybody,
I personally do not feel that those who have come here illegally should be granted automatic citizenship. They should go through the due process of obtaining valid citizenship. You are correct, it is the right thing to do.
I also agree that EVERYONE, illegal or legal, in America or not, should be paid a FAIR wage! Things are tight financially for most everyone. Since America invaded Iraq, I have lost about 1/2 of my client base. Why? People don't have the "disposable" income to pay for the work. I have kept my billable rate as low as I can for the last 4 years. My husband spends more time on unemployment than he does working. Why? Oh, the economy is crap, especially in the state of Michigan. He works "side jobs" as a painter and landscaper for the rich in this city. Very "mexican" work for him (not a racist slur! he is mexican!). He has been kept busy lately. And the reason for that is that he undercuts the big dogs who bill high dollars. Yep, he foregoes fair market rate for the work he does so he can feed his family. I'm sure you can see the vicious cycle between fair and survival...These are my observations, I wish I had answers to make things better for all.

d34dpuppy said...

ya that is fair camie here is tha bad part...we use 2 live near santa ana ,ca i think it has the highset level of mexicans outsiada mexico most r legal won houses n such but all over that area is day labourers guys hanginout waitin 2 have some guy drive by n give m a job 4 a day r 2 ok i dun care humans have a right 2 exist tha main problem i have with it si that if somethin happens n it happens a low thay either end up not gettin paid at all r if thay get hurt o well 2 bad so sad i memeber a guy was trimmin trees n fell outta tha top in some guys drive way n tha guy that hired him just drove away he came back later but that was not that norm most just take off n leave tha guy

Candy Minx said...

This was all super interesting and fascinating to me. I love the photos of your husbands moms place...and the inside views.

I linked you by the way...

Cheers and I see some familiar "faces" here...

Candy

Nairobi Paul said...

Thanks for the comment on my site. I forget how I found yours. The blogosphere is a tangled web with many tendrils.

I bookmarked yours too!

ldbug said...

Ok, I see that Tidy already posted in anger..but I have to agree with him. I have many friends here who work very hard to be here, legally. I really don't care who enters the country, I just don't agree with those who don't care to follow the rules, however obnoxious and stupid they are. I would rather see immigrants fight for a better way to enter the country legally.

fairscape said...

CV

It has always been my contention that there would not be a clean plate or a cut blade of grass in my neck-o-the-woods if it weren't for workers from foreign countries. I won't be checking their paper work as long as they don't ask to check mine. My family arrived on the third ship after the Mayflower back when immigration laws weren't so tough. As far as I'm concerned it's just one more way the politicians use scape goats so they can keep us, the little people, divided while they conquer.

The Anti Crapitalist said...

I feel for these people, but we are in a globalized world and I think many people don't realize that the ONLY reason they are employed is because they are illegal.

The minute these people get the papers they want, and start paying tax, and getting better rights; the Walmarts and McDonalds of this world won't want to employ them because their business models are purely based around employing "no cost" workers who can't argue.

The only way they can compete with China is to create a mini China inside the US using cheap illegal labour.

Thats the terrible truth. I hope these people get what they want but would you rather stay illegal and employed or become an unemployed American?

A true dilemma.

Cynnie said...

I lived in California for years..Mexicans are the hardest working people on the face of the earth..
i loved this post..you are a really great writer cam!

Who Me? said...

gorl! don't give up on me! i'm seriously writing the post with the answers to your question, but i need to answer the questions myself... i'm also including history of the relationship - and anticipate only more entertaining shit will come of it... i have deep personal feeling about this post i only skimmed. but i'm late to buy dope - so i'll read it while smoking a j when i get back..

love you - mean it...

Noah said...

welcome to my little corner of the blog LOL

the more the merrier!! please feel free to check back often!

and I compleatly support anyone who wants to come to this country!! mainly becasue many of my ancestors wern't givin the right to choose

bob said...

One of my cow-orkers wondered aloud whether or not the folks suffering in Darfur are cursing fate that their ancestors weren't bundled off to America. I took the opportunity to KICK HIM IN THE GROIN then I commented on our harrassment policy.

the cappuccino kid said...

hiya sweetcheeks, i am back, but with half an hour before i have to go to work! will catch up in morning and send you my instsnt messenger addy. x

the cappuccino kid said...

er, lost your mail address! can you send it to my "real" one, not the blog one, that way i can sort out messenger. cheers petal.

Ron said...

Camie, did you get that plaid skirt yet? Malkovich have one for you? Don't go all Gandolfini on that Vespa, now...

verification word: "njtieer", which could be a racist term for an African-Netherlander...

* (asterisk) said...

Great post, Camie. As someone who would love one day to live in the States, for me it made fascinating reading. But since I'm white, maybe I should go talk to Tidy, too... I'll have to get some info on Mexico from you too, since Wife and I are considering going for her birthday in '07.

Who Me? said...

the "ex" i'm currently trying to work things out with is here from Iran. he is gay and married to a woman to maintain his status in this country. my boyfriend before him was brough here illegally as a child. put through the american school system, holds 3 jobs last i checked - but recently sent himself back to mexico to start the long process of paperwork so he can be in the country he was raised it. i guess in the meantime, while the INS get their shit together, he can learn about the whole mexican culture "uncle sam" thinks he's so much a part of...

bush is a fuckstick

Who Me? said...

by the way girl THE POST!! AT LAST - ok - part one.... that should satisfy your dirty little curiosity! ;-)

Melanie said...

The sick sad thing is that the Right Wing doesn't really give a rat's ass about illegals, they are just using the issue (like they did with gay marriage back in the '04 election) to get white people in the bible belt scared enough to go to the polls and vote them in. You can bet that the moment the election in '08 is over, you won't hear a damn word about "broken borders", "undocumented workers," or that crazy assed theory that Mexicans believe that California is really theirs so they are coming in illegally to take it back for Mexico.