Friday, October 27, 2006

(I'm) Almost Famous (yeah, right!)

*Asterisk had a post recently about dead iconic rockstars. I was reminded via the comment field that I had once met G.G. Allin. I got to thinking about all the famous and semi-famous people I have met or walked by in my life, and started compiling a list. They are not in order of importance and I have designated those who simply walked by me. Feel free to mention who you may have met in the comment field.

1. Red Hot Chili Peppers- The original (and now current line-up). Met them in Maryland backstage after a show. Only Anthony, Chad, and John talked to me, and each signed my shirt. Flea just stood there looking cool in a green shark skin suit.

2. Husker Du- At Schoolkids Records in Ann Arbor. They each signed my shirt.

3. Bob Mould- (guitarist/singer from Husker Du) At a show in Detroit, as mentioned here.

4. Suicidal Tendencies- Punk band from California. Drank beer with them in their tour bus after a show in Flint, MI. I was 16.

5. Kevin Seconds- (from the band 7 Seconds) Met him at least 4 times. Saw 7 Seconds play 10 times. He let me into my 10th show for free.

6. Les Claypool- (from the band Primus) He was walking alone on a street in Flint, MI, wearing a black sweatshirt with the hood over his head tight (like Kenny from South Park). I asked him to sign my CD. He said he would sign it if I gave him a blow-job. I told him it wasn't worth it.

7. Screeching Weasel- (punk band from Chicago) Met them after a show in Flint, MI. Ben Weasel's blog is here.

8. Billy Corigan- (from the Smashing Pumpkins) Met him after a show in Detroit (Gish tour). I shook his hand and told him he was very talented and that he shouldn't get so fucked before shows. I guess he may have listened to me.

9. Sinead O'Connor- (singer) in Detroit, after a show.

10. Oasis- (original line-up) In New York City. They walked by Ron and I after a show, thinking they were too famous to sign anything.

11. Blur- After a show in Detroit. I kissed Damon Albarn. He is very short, and pigeon-toed.

12. Cheap Trick- (band) Walked by me on Main Street, in Ann Arbor.

13. Luciano Pavarati- (opera singer) Walked in front of me in New York City.

14. Jeff Daniels- (actor) Lives 15 minutes away from me. I used to wait on him while working at a bookstore in Ann Arbor.

15. Jim Harrison- (author) Met him twice. Waited on him while working at a bookstore in Flint, MI. He embarassed the crap out of me when I asked him if I I.D'd him correctly. Met him again at a book signing in Ann Arbor. I told him about the first time I met him, and he signed my book "So you think I am a drunk". He WAS drunk at the signing. I also "forgot" to pay for the book before I left the store.

16. Adam Ant- (pop God) After a show in Ann Arbor, MI. I was 14.

17. Ted Nugent- (guitarist/singer) Met him twice. Once at a mall in Ann Arbor, the last time at a bagel shop in Ann Arbor. I also drove by him once.

18.The Pixies- (band) Met once in Detroit (Black Francis is an ass), and once in Ann Arbor. I played pool with Kim Deal (bassist) and lost.

19. Ethan Hawke- (actor/writer??) At a book signing in Ann Arbor. Tried to get him to sign my bra, but his publisist wouldn't let him.

20. Grand Funk Railroad- (legendary 70's rock band). Don Brewer (drummer) is my second cousin. I also used to play with Mark Farner's (singer) daughter when I was a kid.

21. New Bomb Turks- (punk band from Columbus, OH) At a show in Ann Arbor.

22. Henry Rollins- (when he was singing for Black Flag) eh, at a show in Flint, MI. You can read about it here.

23. Jerry Garcia- (guitarist/singer from the Grateful Dead). He waved at me and said hi, while I was in a taxi going to a club in Chicago.

24. Ian McKay- (from Minor Threat, and Fugazi) Met after a show in Flint, MI.

25. Nicolas Cage- (actor) He walked by me and Ron in New York City. Ron and I sat for two hours watching him film a scene for the movie "Bringing Out the Dead". He had on lots of make-up, and looked really old.

26. Denis Leary- (actor) Watched him film a scene for the movie "Do Not Disturb", in Amsterdam. He walked by me, said hi and asked the people around him if anyone wanted to go have a beer. Funny thing was, nobody took him up on the offer, and it looked like no one even knew who he was. Hubby and I had dinner reservations so we didn't go either.

27. Mark "The Bird" Fidrych- (Detroit Tigers Pitcher) Met him at a bowling alley in Flint, MI when I was 10 years old.

28. Lance Parrish- (Detroit Tigers Catcher) Met him after a Tigers game at the original stadium. He also played in the '84 World Series.

29. Gary Moeller- (ex- Football coach for University of Michigan) Met him at a hardware store in Ann Arbor, shortly after he was fired.

30. G.G. Allin- (punk rocker) He liked smearing his own shit on himself and the crowd. Met him while he was staying at the YMCA in Ann Arbor. He had to stay in the state of Michigan until his probation ended. He had spent time in Jackson (MI) Prison for assault and rape of a woman. I didn't know this until after I met him.

31. Lemmi- From the band Motorhead. We had a beer together at a show, while watching the Dead Kennedy's play.

32. Chow Yun-Fat- (actor) Was about 10 feet away from him, while attending an opening for "The Replacement Killers" in Chicago, IL. I went with Ron.

That is all that I can think of at the moment. I look forward to hearing all the people you have come across.

26 comments:

d34dpuppy said...

them guys shold b makin a list abotmeetin u

Anonymous said...

Chow Yun-Fat!?!?

FUCKIN-A I AM JEALOUS!!!

Steve~

Life, or Something Like It said...

wow. Hubby's friend knew Henry Rollins, in a biblical way, I think. She has a photo of Henry holding her baby in his arms...All part of the punk crowd that we used to hang with...
Adam Ant....Unbelievable. You've met so many punk gods...I am jealous....

eric said...

my list ain't as big as yours but...
1) made a pizza for dee dee ramone while working in the backroom of the brown jug. he had just been kicked out of the ramones for uh, problems and was on his way to detroit to start a band.

2) made fish and chips for the wailers (minus bob, of course) when they were playing ricks.

3) i've met henry, loaded equipment for suicidal, got wendy o. williams autograph and "hung out" with slayer.

4) remember that show at the capitol....black sabbath? i got to meet dio that night

5) walked past g.g. allin when he was staying at the ymca. he was on his way toward the diag. i was on my way to the library. walked by him in front of harry's army surplus. rumor has it ted bundy also stayed at the ymca after he escaped jail and before he went down to florida.

Camie Vog said...

Eric! I was at that Black Sabbath show with you. Where was I when you met Dio???

Anonymous said...

Ha! Finally caught up with PBB. Hey there Cammie :) So...
1) congrats on the girl
2) sorry about hubby's knee. I have a friend here in memphis who has a simliar issue. Fucking sucks big style dude.
3) Sorry about the Union Cunts! That's absolutely fucking outrageous! Motherfuckers. I wish there was something I could do!!
4) Um. Oh yeah, Go Cardinals!! (Memphis is a feeder team for the Cards, so everyone here is rabid!!)
5) I sort of cheat on famous people cos of playing bands for 15yrs. Most fun were Gilby Clarke (GnR), Citizen Cope and stuff in DC. My mate Castor Oil went to school with Dave Grohl (or something like that). Musicgirl has met loads of famous folks cos of being a musician and dating the drummer of Jimie's Chicken Shack a few years ago. She grew up with Good Charlotte and stuff. Kind of cool.

:)

eric said...

i knew tony iommi would go on for about fifteen minutes with his guitar solo, so i snuck backstage (i used to know the capitol like the back of my hand) and found dio hanging out by the curtains waiting for it to end. never got close enough to shake his hand or anything but i did yell at him that he looked exactly like miriam! hahahahahahahahaha!

FOUR DINNERS said...

All you can think of at the moment!!!...name dropper!!

Briefly met ex Pistol Glen Matlock as I slid by him on a drinks tray.

Said "Hello" to the bassist of some late 60's band that had a hit with "Build me up Buttercup"

Touched Bowie's foot at a concert aged 15

Peered down Debbie Harry's cleavage in about '81 I think as she stepped out of a limo in London.

Worked with ex Sham 69 bassist Alby Maskell at Heathrow Airport

Not really up to your standard this is it??

Laura said...

OMG! Adam Ant! Ok, I liked you before, but now, you're worshipped. WOW! Fry is going to be so impressed!

Here's my list, some are groaners, some are rather cool, and some are cooler than you'd think.

Oak Ridge Boys (rude)
Ty Herndon (totally sweet and gorgeous)
Pauly Shore
Tommy Davidson
Michael Windslow (from Police Academy)
Dr. Robin (yesterday!)
Mimi Leder (director of Deep Impact, she laughed at my jokes in the ladies room line)

The list of degrees less than 2 is a lot longer, like Dustin Hoffman, Law & Order:SVU first season cast, John Woo, Ridley Scott, Harrison Ford, people like that.

Laura said...

Man! I knew I was forgetting something! Touched Rick Springfield on the arm a couple of years ago. Like, as a child of the 80's, I could forget that. :P

Musicgirl said...

Hey Girl!!!!! I'm easing my way back into blog land. Miss you :)

hmmm....
Benji and joel from Good charlotte(they weren't famous when I use to hang out with them)...well you read tidy's post...so i won't list those people

The KLF (was a dancer with them)

Conan O'Brien(when he still had his sidekick)

Method Man (smoked a blunt with him)

Brian McKnight(Played my guitar for him)

Andre Ware (from the detroit lions back in the day...ended up being an in-law)

311 (hung out on the tour bus with them)

Incubus

Fuel (Brett Michaels and I were wearing the same shirt!!!!)

Downtown Julie Brown


The Delfonics

Dr. Drew

Debbie Allen (dancer and sister of felisha rashad)

Will Smith (well...he winked at me while standing on a flatbed truck He was filming the video "getting jiggy wit it" and just so happened to be blocking my car on a small street in Philly)

Tommy Lee

Run DMC (befoe the tragic loss)

The lead singer of that band that sang "I just wanna fly..." Real cutie. Too bad I can't remember his name right now...

Chili Peppers

....that's all for now...I might think of some more later....

..and I posted an update on my blog...


see ya. Fun post!

Musicgirl said...

Mark McGrath! That was his name. He's even more gorgeous in person!!! (but not nearly as gorgeous as my Tidy :P)

Amy said...

Didn't you go to school with a certain infamous Flint resident?

PS I was lucky for Michigan - finally! Tigers won AL Championship while I was home. Too bad I left before the World Series. (Usually my teams do better when I am NOT around).

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's quite a list!

Ummm....when I worked for Tower, we had in-stores with Megadeth (dixus maximus) and The Smithereens. Partied with The Tom Tom Club. Saw the guy who played Robin (of Batman fame) at Dulles Airport.

That's all I can remember.

Anonymous said...

Ohohoh! I almost forgot the most exciting one...even got a pic with him. Yes, try not to be too jealous...Donny Osmond.

(ps. he was a dick too)

Ranting Dullard said...

Actors met (none of which you will have heard of)

Curly Watts: whilst in rehab
Les battersby: see above
Denise Barlow: See above
Ashley: whilst visiting the above
Janice Battersby (with ashley)
Ruby wax: at another mental health hospital.
Kate moss: see above
Paul Gasgoine: See above
Roy Keane: Walking his dogs every day for 2 years
Sean Ryder....Rehab and a half!

Erm thats it, they were all mental at the time. Apart from Roy Keane and those visiting.

Those from the UK will know them, they are famous on TV and thats about it. I cant even remember their names. So just use their character names.

Cynnie said...

umm..I fucked Mick jagger back in 78..


Okay i lied..I've never met a celeb..( unless you count wrestlers...dated ric flair for about 6 months)
and i've never even been to a concert.

a.c.t said...

Wow, you've met so many people Camie. My biggest claim to faim was meeting Chris Martin from Coldplay back in 2001 before they were huge. It was after a gig in Milan and fuelled by several vodkas, I told one of the backstage people that I was a friend and to go and get him. He came out, I couldn't believe it and he signed my ticket. I've still got the pen - sad I know.

Anonymous said...

I worked in the music industry for 5 years, so it might be quicker for me to name the people I haven't met. Prior to my service promoting records for PolyGram and producing concerts, I was a music journalist, and had been writing features about the Northwest music scene since the age of 18. I met pretty much everyone involved in the grunge scene and went to some of their funerals as well. Some of the cooler people I've met in my time include Nirvana, Glenn Danzig, Tori Amos, Soundgarden, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Pantera, Bonnie Raitt, Marilyn Manson, Morrissey, Smashing Pumpkins, Dennis Leary, etc., etc., etc.

Some of the biggest assholes I met include Jethro Tull, Courtney Love, Candlebox, Great White (okay just the vocalist, but he was a real prick), and Goo Goo Dolls.

Fortunately, way more positive experiences than negative experiences. Again, it would be quicker for me to name who I haven't met than who I have.

* (asterisk) said...

Great list, Camie, wow. And thanks for the shout-out. I am drafting my own post as a response, but it's taking ages... Not because there are so many people on it, but because I'm wracking my brains to make it worthwhile.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I once snogged one of Led Zepplins old groupies...so I'm like two degrees of seperation from giving Robert Plant a blow-job. That's pretty cool huh? And she was American indian. And um...63 yrs old.

Yeah baby!!

Gardenia said...

What fun! Well, once when in Philadelphia during my a hippy kick, while waiting in a restaurant for other people to leave per chance a juicy steak for a hippy, I met and shook hands with Liberace (see Wikipedia) - what a dazzling personality!

Next, in Casper, Wyoming John Wayne was on a shoot, a movie about oil well fires, can't remember the name. I also shook his hand, now I wish I had asked for an autograph from both these guys! John Wayne too, a most gorgeous, dazzling personality. Very kind.

Uh, does this kind of date me?

Red said...

I'm a bit jealous of your Nic Cage... Looking old or not, he's still one of the finest actors out there. And I have no problem believing that nobody would want to go for a beer with Denis Leary. He looks a bit smelly, and he'd probably smoke all the time!

My list is up if you fancy popping in...

Pie said...

Blub, never met anyone famous :-(

Will be related (distantly) to Hugh Grant in about two or three months time so will undoubtedly meet him at official get-togethers.

The only celebrity I'd truly love to meet is Kylie Minogue though I'm sure I'd be so overwhelmed I'd turn into a mumbling, blubbering wreck.

Anonymous said...

about time we had another blog, good blog though, I would love to meet John Bon Jovi if anyone knows him.

Braindead Betty said...

Let's see...I met Jerry Only and Joey Ramone the year they toured together. Jerry Only may not be a Glen Danzig vocally, but he is one hell of a charming bastard. I got a nice great big sweaty hug from him. Joey Ramone seemed...almost shy.

I met the guys from Rancid one year, and they were absolutely hilarious. Seemed like they would be fun to get drunk with.

I met Andrew W.K. the same year I met Rancid, and he was a sweetie. He put something personal about the person on every autograph he gave, and made a minute to actually talk to everybody, rather than signsignsignI'mdone.

I was an extra in a movie once and met Ben Affleck. He was a real jerk.

I know you said you met G.G. Allin. I never got the chance to meet him, but I've met Merle a couple times. My husband's band actually opened for the Murder Junkies just earlier this year. That's the most recent time I've met him.

And people that might not qualify as famous yet...my husband's band opened for the Soviettes once, back before they signed with Fat Wreck Chords. They were fun people.

And I've met the Prodigals, a regionally-famous Irish band a few times.