Monday, January 15, 2007

Dangerous Icing!

Cappy asked in the comment field of the last post, "What is dangerous icing"? Here is a photo of what the trees look like around my flat.

Looks pretty, doesn't it? Unfortunately, ice like this can be quite damaging to the trees. The weight of the ice causes the limbs to bend and break off, which can damage houses and cars.

As I was waking from a nap a few minutes ago, there was a LOUD sound. Son ran to the window and said "Ah, I think someone is dropping a bomb outside". I jumped to the couch and joined him at the window. "Is our truck okay?" I asked him before I got to the window. "Yes, ours is fine, but the bomb got a few of the neighbors cars"! Sure enough, a small lowrider style truck had rounded the corner at our complex and smashed into 3 other cars. This kid must have been traveling fast, as one of the vehicles, a large SUV had been turned sideways. The kids car sustained the most damage, fluids every where, the horn stuck on...Blaring. I stepped outside to listen in. He claims his truck slipped on ice then "Everything went black"! Uh-huh.... His two teenage passangers left the scene, hmm... I wonder how high/drunk they were...

This is private property, so the cops won't come to file a report. It is all between the insurance companies at this point. When the crowds clear, I'll be moving my rusty but trusty truck to the SIDE lot, where it should be a bit more safe in the event someone else "slips on the ice" doing 50 MPH through the parking lot.

(photo credit: BrevardNC I would have taken a photo of the actual trees outside my house and of the accident scene, but hubby has the camera with him)

13 comments:

Cynnie said...

I thought that looked like nc! ! . . I know its dangerous but damn i miss it . .

snowbug said...

Oh, I remember those days. Ice storms from hell when I lived in Memphis!

Gardenia said...

It is lovely, but for sure treacherous. I think most accidents weather related are caused by people trying to drive like its a clear summer day without regard to weather conditions. We're solid ice here too - and most of us creeping along - I wish we'd get a thaw before we have to load the truck - I wish I could PACK before we load the truck - jees. I hear its pretty bad even into the South - ?

Life, or Something Like It said...

It's much the same here. We don't really have any snow, but we got a large dose of freezing rain. I almost killed myself falling down the stairs at the church next door. (I was putting out salt so nobody would slip). beautiful, but deadly. Glad that your truck wasn't hrt!

drunk punk said...

don't get snow much anymore. used to get snowed in as a kid up on the pennines. bit of slush in London now n again is all. that kid sounds like he drives like me...

cappy said...

thank you.

now i understand!

Lee said...

I have this lovely memory of ice skating all the way to school back when I lived in Illinois. Snow and ice were a lot more fun when I was a kid.

* (asterisk) said...

Oops, that's some scary shit, dude.

tideliar said...

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

finally! word verification with no FUCKING WORD!!!!!!!!!

Hey there Cammie :)

reminds me of Pennsylvania. Hope you groovy babe (and the others who know me...computer issues + work issues...)

Gentleman-hobbs said...

If we get snow this year it will be the first for a while. Global Warming I guess.

Red said...

Don't you guys use chains on your tyres in the US? They're compulsory in Italy when there is snow, but in the UK they prefer to wait for days until the gritters come round...

her indoors said...

it soes make a great photo though! we got stuck in the snow for 4 hours on our way home from the airpot, it was a nightmare!

Camie Vog said...

Red,
Some states allow the use of chains on tires. Michigan doesn't, I know that. As for the other states he is traveling through, I am unclear of the laws. I have seen trucks from Illinois in Michigan that have chains hanging from the undersides of their loads... So, Illinois must allow it.

Yikes, I should get another post up soon...