Thursday, May 10, 2007

Not that long ago...

A year ago this month my mental state was summed up in this post. Things were unstable for my family money wise, which cause an unstable effect in my brain chemistry. We were just able to cover our living expenses, I teetered with insanity. A few months later, I found out I was pregnant with Beanie Vog. I can't even express to you the amount of fear that took hold of me. I fought it back, determined not to let the emotion affect my pregnancy, or my son. I turned to my husband, the primary bread winner of the family, with a look that can only be compared to the last look Private Pyle gave Sgt. Hartman before he shot himself in Full Metal Jacket. I said, "Something has to be done. We are poor. I was raised middle class, this is unacceptable for me to continue to live like this. Either you change careers, or...." My sentence trailed off. I wasn't sure what I meant to say, or what I was afraid to say to him, but Hubby took it. I watched the same look of fear that I had cross his face. I had never spoke to him with such finality before.

The following summer lingered on, as did our finacial issues. Actually, things got even worse. The Union my husband was in, the one he put so much faith into failed to get him work. When they did, it was short lived. They refused to support him. Ultimately, he was ejected from this Union. He spoke his mind one too many times for them. As the season changed into autumn and onto winter, the painting jobs Hubby had finished up. We had no more to go on. We thought of moving to Wyoming, far from the only state I lived in full time. Hubby resisted this. I went to him again. This time I said, "you have two weeks to figure out your next move to bring money in". Again, that strange look of fear crossed his face. At the end of two weeks, he began semi-truck driving school. Two weeks later, 4 hours after the last day of class, he had a job. Life began to change. I have waited 5 years for this.

This is where we are today:
Baby Vog is here, my son is happy, my husband works five days straight away from the home. I care for the family on my own, money is in the bank, food is on the table, and the bill collectors have stopped bothering me. I can honestly say, that despite how rotten the past five years have been, it has made me a much stronger person. I appreciate so much more, and like to think that I live life less superficially. I continue to look forward, and this is what forward is bringing me....

We bid on a house, and the offer was accepted. It is a new home, which due to the shitty economy, was forclosed on by the previous owner. Yes, we have reaped the awards of someone elses financial doom. Just last year, that could have been me... We hope to close on the house by June 20th. It has four bedrooms, two full baths, a full basement, garage and a yard. This is the first home that Hubby and I have ever purchased. I said to my mom yesterday " Wow, I am married, have two kids, a career and am a homeowner. I'm a real grown up now". Yes, I am the typical Milf (even though I'm not as hot as Mary-Louise Parker. And the Milf reference...It's a joke, people!!).

Since we got such a good deal on the house, I have decided to also buy a new car. After much thought, and a wonderful test drive, I have picked the Toyota Prius. I am now looking for a bumpersticker that says "WWAGD?" (What Would Al Gore Do?). Hubby is okay with this choice of car, but he really wants the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Maybe that'll be our next car...Hmmm...

20 comments:

her indoors said...

you have come a long way in the last few years as a person and as a family, well done you all deserve the happiness that is now yours, i love happy endings

Biddie said...

I am so happy for you! It's been a long, tough road. You and your family deserve this!

The Anti Crapitalist said...

Enjoy your new house. You've earned it!

Karen said...

Hi Camie: Saw your comment on *A's blog about the mittens. I found the pattern at Hello Yarn (http://www.helloyarn.com/piratemittens.htm). However, after a few experiments I discovered I needed to add a couple of rows and columns to the pattern in order for it to fit an adult hand. If you'd like I have an excel file with the exact pattern for the ones I sent to Red and *A. Just send me a quick email and I'll forward it on: dalmatica (at) yahoo (dot) ca.

Jo said...

what a lovely ending enjoy all you have worked for you earned it

Gardenia said...

I remember our blogs about Wyoming. I'm glad you didn't go. Life has turned around for you, big time! AND you are still close to family...not so terribly far away in a strange land. I'm so happy for you - there is something about owning a home - that's YOURS (well, aside from taxes & mortgages) - but you bet some idiot landlord will not be raiding your underwear drawers or hunting you down for rent 5 days before rent is due and you are in the hospital (remember my Wyo landlord?). So YAY! May you have wonderful appliances, etc! This will be fun. My friend Rebekah Simon-Peter, yes that's her name, bought a Prius. She LOVES it. And she went to the training by Al Gore himself! Cool! (Go see my post of late.) I'm proud of your choice of vehicle!

Yes, these trials seem to make us stronger, but you bet I am so glad that you are done with that one....I remember one time we did not even have the extra to take the kids out for pizza - it was awful!

d34dpuppy said...

u shouda gatta hummer heheh i member that piccy of u by it
really tho ur life is so much better now...........n u deserve alla it

* (asterisk) said...

What a difference a year makes. Well done to you guys. Don't think about cashing in on others' misfortunes. Shit happens to us all at some point or another. It's not your fault. You work hard and should enjoy the rewards.

Lee said...

Oh this is wonderful news! I;m so glad things are looking up! How happy you will be!

I love that FJ Cruiser!

Red said...

All's well that ends well! Good to hear you guys made it through the hard times. Hope it's all plain sailing from here on!

FOUR DINNERS said...

Followed yer trials n stuff n new it'd turn out fine. Well chuffed for you all.

Yer special people n it's well deserved. x

d34dpuppy said...

happy mums day

Minerva Jane said...

so fantastic to hear how well you all are doing camie. congrats.

Jo said...

just popped in to see if you ok, have been thinking about you.

ldbug said...

I'm so glad this year is going well for you guys!! I had a really rough year last year too...it's amazing how much all that pain/frustration/fear can result in a good place, only a year later:-)

Cynnie said...

OMG!! Yay!!.
you deserve it baby..
and you'll always be a MILF to me

Melanie said...

I am so happy for you, because I remember those posts from a year ago. I empathize with you on your feelings about the house, but I'm glad you have it. I just got a Prius myself, and isn't it nice to know that we are giving OPEC the finger!

Enjoy your success, and keep thinking positive! To quote a great rabbi: Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it.

Further on up the road said...

What a story. Great success you should be very proud... apart from the Prius... :-)

My Reflecting Pool said...

I am elated for you and your family. when times got tough, you all stuck together. thats what family does. Congrats on the house!!

Truck Driver Wife said...

I so know those days. We had FOC breating down our necks and bill collectors and I also told superdaddy the same type thing. Things are finally looking up.